View Single Post
Old 06.30.2013, 09:13 AM   #48
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I must be the only one that saw o'rourke as DILUTING the sonic youth "sound".

I always had mixed feelings about his involvement, so I kind of get what you mean. I loved (and still love) SYR 3. But NYCG&F and Murray Street never did that much for me, and those were two consecutive albums, so I was starting to get down about their sound at that time. Some of the laptop stuff on NYCG&F rubbed me wrong, and I especially didn't like seeing it on stage. (He did have the laptop on stage, didn't he?)

But then Sonic Nurse kicked some serious ass, and I peed right next to Jim at a Maxwell's show, so that was all good.

When he left, I was glad. Overall, I think his involvement was good, and it added a unique chapter to SY's history, but I'm glad it was just a short phase.

I never realized until reading the post above (or maybe I forgot) that he had anything to do with A Thousand Leaves, which is a great record. If he had significant influence on that record, then that's another plus.