View Single Post
Old 01.07.2015, 12:11 PM   #18432
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i watched and liked damsels in distress-- it's with greta gerwing also (see "frances ha" in the previous page). i liked the movie-- it's sort of terrible, clunky and a cheap production, but great at the same time. i can't explain. it's also a sort of musical which is a genre i tend to hate as well. but what is it about stillman's movies i can't resist? i guess a fundamental, earnest sense of innocence, or untainted goodness-- hard to explain. a serious moral conservatism. i think some of the dialog in metropolitan is very revealing of his deepest beliefs-- like when audrey roget refuses to play.. spin the bottle or whatever the game... because she says there is a reason we've developed some social conventions. quaint, absurd in our age of facebook (that movie was long before facebook), but it still makes sense. he's a kind of radical in that sense-- goes against the grain of cynical trends and really cares about individuals. very american, in a sense (see: barcelona).

he's also directed some tv but i think more of a hired gun. it's his auteurism that interests me (he wanted to be a novelist in his youth).

----

the 70s had plenty i think, plus there was a large international scene, so no complaints from me there. roseanne was rare post-reagan i suppose but even she eventually wins the lottery or something-- not that i watched it, but im aware of it. the early seasons of "good times" were there much earlier, though john amos quit because he didn't want to portray a cartoon character.

lucky louie in fact was a pretty great working class sitcom of the early 2000s, but who the fuck even knows about it? lasted only 1 season.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|