View Single Post
Old 05.29.2016, 07:34 PM   #2089
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Flume's (super) long-awaited second album, Skin, just dropped on Friday, with guest appearances from Vince Staples and Vic Mensa (and Beck, just to name a few). I don't know if this means anything to you guys, but for me it's a big deal. I came into 2016 with two albums on the brain: whatever Ye was going to drop, and Skin.

Now that it's out, I feel like pretty much everything that I was looking forward to in terms of music has happened, and we're only halfway through the year. Skin is the kind of EDM album that keeps me listening to EDM. Like HudMo's Lantern, it brings out the absolute fucking best in big tent electronica. Without albums like these, I feel like I'd give up on mainstream techno completely, and dive into the amorphous sound collages of Autechre and the panicked footwork of Jlin and RP Boo full time.

Skin is already own of my favorite albums of the year, behind Kaytranada, but right up there with Pantha Du Prince's the Triad, and probably ahead of Elseq 1-5 just because of its immediate listenability. I really feel like electronic music is finally starting to blossom in 2016. Which is fucking awesome.

Go listen to Flume - Skin.
Louder, I think you in particular will find a lot to like about it.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|