View Single Post
Old 02.24.2016, 02:49 PM   #26
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Never understood how people are thinking Jim was so important to SY. Of course he is a great musician and fully brought his part to SY, but SY made great records before him and made them also after him. The same logic I could say how Jim Schlavunos was so important to SY (I really think he was the greatest drummer in SY even he played only in Confusion).

Also, I donīt think Jimīs influence to ATL was very big. Yes, they made SYR3 before releasing ATL, but in SYR3 jams are no base of ATL (theyīre all in SYR2 where Jim isnīt with). There are also no mentions about him in texts of ATL or album cover. I believe they just have fun when making SYR3.

It was the energy he clearly brought, especially playing live, that clearly gave SY a huge spark. Further its undeniable that after he got involved on that SYR that the band shifted gears towards a more experimental approach to music. Personally i think 98-2004 is PEAK sonic youth.

Also i understand that Jim worked on the production of ATL and its clear production is a huge part of the overall sound and feel of that record. Plus, lets be honest, Jim is a lot pf funny but his music channels that darker more Alice in the Looking Glass feel than the facetious tounge in cheek darkness that was previously SY preferred approach.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|