View Single Post
Old 06.25.2009, 11:19 PM   #1
caliban
empty page

caliban has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I don't know if SY are aware of the politics behind Urban Outfitters. I certainly am. Hard-right-wing owner who has spent millions fighting gay rights. From Wikipedia:
Richard Hayne is the president of Urban Outfitters, a chain of clothing retailers. At a net worth of $1.8 billion, Hayne is the #262 richest person in the U.S. according to the 2008 Forbes 400 list, a ranking of the 400 richest Americans by net worth. … He founded Urban Outfitters, Inc. in 1970. … Today, the company operates over 200 stores under three brands: Urban Outfitters, Free People, and Anthropologie.

Ironically, the liberal tone of Free People and Urban Outfitters is a reflection of his more liberal early roots. However, Richard Hayne is one of the most conservative billionaires in America. Donating millions of dollars a year to anti-gay rights [legislators]. He was also a staunch supporter of California’s Proposition 8, which passed in November of 2008 taking away the marriage rights of same-sex couples.
I love SY! The Daydream Nation tour was just completely fantastic. I saw the original DN tour in a wee club and told people about that magic for years. Being able to bring a bunch of new people into experience that show again was magic.

I'd hope that SY are lefties, but maybe not. I do wish that people in that position, a position of at least a little power in media and pop culture, able to steer fans in various directions, would think twice about steering them towards spending money that goes to a bigot who works diligently to spread bigotry.
caliban is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|