View Single Post
Old 03.20.2009, 10:49 AM   #25
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
that painting is more important than any photograph. (in my eyes of course), so is any other iconic painting, because there is only ONE of them.

more valuable, but not more important, they serve completely different purposes surely? the reproduceable quality of a photo is usually plays a part in what makes an important photo important (at least in documentary photography, e.g. is that vamous vietnam photo of that running child less important than guernica?), i.e. it increases the potential impact of the image by having a larger audience.

anyway just thinking about this is getting too complicated to start writing about now, but it made me think of these things:

when was the last painting painted that could be classed as "important" probably in the 1960s, if not the 50s?

has the potency of the photographic image, and therefore it's importance been lost to the moving image? if so when?

i.e. what i'm saying is did the era of the iconic painiting end with the begining of the era of the iconic photograph, and did that in turn end with the begining of the era of the iconic moving image?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|