View Single Post
Old 10.09.2009, 05:37 AM   #109
looking glass spectacle
100%

looking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asses
during the round-table, it seemed like foster was there as much to see what "the kids" are thinking nowadays as to share his ideas. he asked more questions than he gave answers, but i enjoyed the back and forth. it was refreshing to hear the co-author of my "art since 1900" textbook admit that he's a bit baffled at the moment.

during the lecture i couldn't help thinking that everything foster was saying about architecture had already been described more eloquently by terence riley. but the truth is that riley simply illustrated his paper better. i'm sure that hal foster, professor at princeton, has no problem obtaining image rights from architects. but when terence riley wrote "light architecture" in 1998, he also happened to be the director of the department of architecture and design at the MoMA. one of the perks of that job is that when you write a paper, instead of asking architects to kindly send you a few choice photos of their work, you get to invite architects to kindly install lifesize representative samples of their work in the spacious galleries a dozen floors below your undoubtedly comfy 53rd st office... it does tend to add a bit of weight to your words.

looking glass spectacle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|