View Single Post
Old 03.22.2006, 03:51 PM   #9
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
I just like genres so I know what to avoid.

that's exactly what i was getting at.

people like the music defined to know if they'll like it or not, based on a generalization. this way, people miss out on great bands and even dismiss entire generations of good music because of that, and i think that's wrong. most sonic youth fans talk about how "open minded" musically they are when the most popular threads are "can someone list some (insert genre here) bands" or "most underrated/overrated bands ever"

take for example emo: by dismissing this label, you might as well miss out on great bands like rites of spring, sunny day real estate, jawbreaker, jawbox, nation of ulysses, still life, antioch arrow, clikatat ikatowi, heroin, swing kids, texas is the reason, saetia, union of uranus, universal order of armageddon, orchid, braid, lifetime, etc.

trance feeeedback: i heard a similar one "there's only two kinds of music: music you like and music you don't" (some attribute this to hendrix, but i remember it being credited to someone before hendrix...but i can't remember who right now)
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|