View Single Post
Old 02.21.2009, 10:28 PM   #44
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Well, modern "classical" is definitely where a lot of "art" (or ahht, if you prefer) resides, but I wouldn't say it's exclusive to classical or jazz.
Certainly orchestras and conductors playing music that is hundreds of years old, performing "interpretations" that are akin to going into a massive piece of literature and adding tiny underlines or italics here and there are just as guilty of "regression" as any perennial garage revivalist. I would argue they are possibly more regressive, just because they are operating under some kind of high-brow delusion. The garage revivalist rarely harbors notions of originality or self-importance; they're just having a good time and using Vox instuments to do it.

Fair points all... But you're talking about 'classical' [still a misnomer] in the sense of the rarified Vivaldi bollocks. Don't get me wrong, I'm of the impression that there's nearly nothing done by Mozart, Bach & Beethoven (I choose my names carefully) that hasn't been regurgitated ad infinitum by the rock hordes - for myself, I hold the notion of 'art music' in very high regard, I would seriously contend any argument that sought to put any rock above the achievements of your Cages, Varéses or Xenakises (3 names at random).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|