Thread: bowie
View Single Post
Old 08.17.2007, 12:19 AM   #104
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
SRV is directly responsible for that horrible, slicked-up electric Blooze noodling style that the baby boomers cannot get enough of. Did he master the pentatonic noodling style? Yes. Is it listenable? No. That kind of playing being held up as an example of "ultimate virtuosity" by guitar teachers and certain music fans is also probably indirectly responsible for the reactionary "wear your ineptitude on your sleeve and always make crappy ramshackle music" attitude that brought us so much pointlessly limp indie rock from the following generation as well.
As to which is worse, it's a tough call, but I'll cast my vote for King of Craptown to an aging baby boomer in a hobby band playing some hackneyed-but-proficient slickblooze on his SRV strat wearing one of those ridiculous hats in tribute to his guitar god.

I think I'm gonna puke.

By the way, I saw SRV in 1983. Did nothing for me whatsoever, and I was both very impressionable and a new/enthusiastic guitarist at the time.
Slick, proficient crap is still crap. It's just executed with dedication is all.
I should hope any "traditional" blues player would prefer a National resonator god like Son House over some dorkus with a Fender and a Marshall cranking it out like that.

again, mostly you're talking about the people who are fans of his music, there's a lot of idiots who like sonic youth, a lot of meatheads who like metal and well, fuck those guys!!! i mean, i like the music i like and who cares who else likes it too, the music is what matters to me, not who is associated with it.

in that respect, stevie ray might have done more bad than good just like i think of bowie...probably i'm fortunate not to encounter srv fans in my daily life here.

it's like i like country and southern rock but if i lived in the u.s. i would probably hate them.

anyway, as i said earlier, the old bluesmen were much better, but yeah, i like to listen to couldn't stand the weather and scuttle buttin' every once in a while.

i raise another question at this point, what about johnny winters?
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|