View Single Post
Old 09.27.2016, 10:33 AM   #48192
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
so wilco doing low-stakes in a style which they didn't invent is completely fine, but dino jr should be castigated for establishing a sound with enough depth to be plied for 30 years? do you not see how ridiculous that is? at least dino jr had the gall to create a new paradigm for themselves, they didn't strive to interpret antiquated genres for credibility the better part of half a century after the fact as wilco did. all those things you're referencing for wilco, a "messy opus" etc., do you really not understand that these are journalistic narratives concocted in tandem with PR teams to sell otherwise diluted, redundant content?

at least mascis, barlow & murph aren't so egotistically frail as to try to cling to any shreds of credibility by making records that fit into these narratives, these guys have a sound when they play together and they simply milk it for all that's worth. it's comfortable music but not through a lack of inability, more so this is what these guys are good at and so they're doing it.

it's the same conversation I was having with you re: the dead c, who by the way have been making the EXACT SAME RECORD for 30 years and merely capturing it with minor deviations on record yet you laud them (because it's "noise" I'm guessing and you're compartmentalising because you don't get it and project these ridiculous, unfounded value systems onto different styles of music instead of seeing them as organised sound which they are) and I mean if you have to have this sort of thing explained to you I'm not really sure why you bother listening to music in the first place?

What a queer response to my saying that while I love Dinosaur jr., their new album doesn't do much for me. More than queer. Absurd and silly. If you want to talk about music we can talk about music. If you want to, like, fight about music, I'm not your guy.

I'm not castigating Dino, or praising Wilco. As I said, I'm a bigger fan of the former. I just happen to be more inclined to listen to the new Wilco than the new Dino. This has nothing to do with me not understanding things or needing things explained to me. It seems to have more to do with some beef you have. It would be a massive waste of time to engage with you further on this.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|