View Single Post
Old 09.26.2016, 11:29 AM   #48188
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
severian dude you're literally critiquing dino jr for the exact same reason you're lauding wilco? at least dino are operating in the very comfortable confines of a style they personally created and one that they are very much nailing the sound of still now, albeit with more developed song structures and a balance of voices. on the other hand, wilco are tepid coffee-shop wank who somehow sustained a career on the basis of overhyped critical response to a record the better part of two decades ago where they pulled the trick of appropriating vaguely interesting styles, neutering them of their vitality and lifelessly injecting them into their own utterly fucking dull work so as to give the impression of inventiveness (the radiohead technique).

I don't get how you can listen to such banal rap and then demand some sort of artistic integrity from rock? it's a bit rich...

It's really not the same thing.
Dino is just doing the exact same then over and over. That doesn't mean it's bad, but it doesn't do a lot for me. There are no surprises to be found.

Wilco has only made 3 truly great albums in my opinion, but they've made a bunch of different kinds of pretty good to good albums. They've done the alt country thing, the big messy opus, the Beach Boys thing, the Can thing, the Neil Young & Crazy Horse thing, the Dino thing, the R.E.M. thing, and bits and pieces of Sonic Youth are scattered throughout. They're not on the same kind of treadmill that Dino is. Wilco may be done doing really interesting things musically, but they're still not phoning it in, or remaking old albums.

I'm not saying Schmilco is genius. In fact, I'm really saying the opposite. It's super basic and low-stakes. But despite that, it still hits the ear nicely, and I find myself thinking about the music and enjoying the album, and want to keep listening. The new Dino is a completely different kind of old guy music. It's just the same exact thing I've heard so many times. Sounds monochromatic and a bit sad.

I have nothing against Dino, and I don't consider myself a big Wilco fan (saw them live a few times and they bored the crap out of me). I'm fact historically I'm much more of a Dino fan than a Wilco fan. But I feel like Dino is one of the most limited bands out there, and I also think they're kind of stuck in a cycle of trying to recapture their classic sound... which they've already done. Their new album is just fine, but you can't really go "back to basics" when you never left basics. There's something a bit desperate about their whole post-reunion schtick that I just don't like. "Hey doesn't this sound super late '80s?" Yes. Why do you think that's what anyone wants?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|