View Single Post
Old 06.23.2017, 01:34 PM   #36
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I agree with Symbols about the "uncool in the traditional sense" thing, but I'm still struggling a bit with why it's accepted (or, rather, encouraged!) in sports situations, but taboo in music circles.

Hell, go to a comic book convention and everyone dresses as their favorite character. Except for me. I don't do that shit. Fuck dressing up. Also, I've only ever been to like two comic book conventions. BUT... a lot of people do it.

Is there something inherent about music fandom that makes this expression of allegiance and devotion somehow socially unacceptable? No! There's nothing inherent in the culture. It's something else. And it has to be more than just, "Music fans are douchebags," though that is certainly almost always the case. It has to be more than that because sports fans are douchebags. Comic book and sci-fi nerds are self-important little shitheels. Everyone everywhere is a douchebag, and fandom breeds douchbaggery.

So what is it? Can we identify an actual causal agent for this effect? The answer is no, of course... no, we can't. Not scientifically. But we sure as hell can speculate about it, so let's speculate!!

well for sports i can speak from experience-- sports are all about tribalism and "belonging". all the excesses in fandom are excesses of tribalism-- hooliganism, narrowmidedness, groupthink, etc.

there is, actually, a pleasure in that sort of group activity-- beating drums and screaming chants and whistling at the rival and practicing superstitions. i think it can be a fuckton of fun as long as one is aware and doesn't get swallowed by it and turns to violence or stupidity. it's an outlet for those impulses. i enjoy it on occasion. never seriously though.

in art and music however, at least the kind that's patronized in this board, the trend is towards individualism and difference and rejection of the mass. everyone a special snowflake. that however breeds its own in-group elitism and emulation, which is a form of conformity under a cover of nonconformity. so you develop a different herd, separated from the mainstream, but it's still a herd, and its own mainstream with its own codes and judgments. moocows of the world unite!

most humans, enlightened or unenlightened, are still tribal and seek refuge and comfort in the herd.

i appreciate dorks because in their social awkwardness and nonconformity they poke holes at conventions of all kinds and make innovation and transformation possible.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|