View Single Post
Old 02.05.2016, 12:47 AM   #299
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
George Harrison was a revolutionary guitarist, truly. I actually think he's underrated. Playing Beatles songs (even the easy ones) can be tough. The interplay between the lead and the rhythm, the bass and he percussion. Some songs have truly *fucked* changes. Truly complex chords. I mean, Helter Skelter's pretty damn simple, but check the timing on "Everybody's Got something to hide except for me and my Monkey" ... Insane. And "Here there and everywhere" is strummed so peacefully and eloquently and simply that it feels like a simple song, but it's rooted in five chords, stretches at the odd verse to seven or eight, goes minor chromatic out of nowhere...

See, I'm way behind on my theory talk. I haven't fact checked this shit, just speaking from memory. But still, what a beautiful bunch of sounds that band made!

I don't need everyone to love the Beatles as much as I do, and I know there are folks out there with perfectly sensible arguments against them being THE band (wrong, hole-filled arguments, yes, but sensible ones too!) I just can't say enough about them. Why? Because I'm a HUGE music nerd and I'm HYPER critical. If music can't hold me, make me feel new things, I don't stick with it. I'm astonished that the Beatles still captivate me so much after a lifetime of listening to them, and nearly half a century after their last record.

Sorry if I've been a dick. I just dig talking about this stuff.

FINALLY. Some theory. So it turns out you are right about Beatles doing some innovative things with chord progressions and timings. If you are interested here is some theory

http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/...d_chords.shtml
NOW for the meaty part of the discussion. What specific examples can we find of OTHER BANDS OR ARTISTS utilizing these different chord changes or timings and yes, to be empirical about it we must be both specific and accurate. It can't be what we "feel" or "think" ot is either the same chords and timings or its not and THAT is how we can MEASURE musical influence empirically

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|