View Single Post
Old 12.24.2017, 11:35 AM   #1015
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
I don't understand music journalism anymore. SZA's "CTRL" is a cute album, but very safe and just your run-of-the-mill female neo-soul album, nowhere near the 2nd best album of 2017 like they make it out to be. Last year's "A Seat at the Table" by Solange was vastly superior. It must be the Kendrick affiliation.

Yeah, what the fuck is up with that?

Same with Cardi B. Like, sure “Bodak Yellow” is a fine little banger, but that is 100% it. Absolutely it. And her new single is just another not bad, reasonably well-executed bunch of bars, over an instrumental that does nothing and goes nowhere.

What the fuck?!

Honestly, this is all SUCH A MASSIVE step down, such a massive regression, from what Lauryn Hill or even Missy Elliot was doing 20 years ago. For real.

For my money, Syd from the Internet is a VASTLY more interesting voice in hip-hop and R&B than either of these artists, who are topping all the year-end singles lists. So is Rhapsody. But Syd/The Internet have some seriously fucking awesome sounds coming out of their brains right now, and I’m surprised Syd’s solo LP is getting less love than Cardi and SZA.

Yeah, Solange is definitely on some better shit, and Beyoncé is on some grand throne overlooking all these people from on high.

Mediocrity is super in right now. Pitchfork’s headline for the new Cardi B single is “Cardi B’s new song (name of song, fucked if I know) loves up to the hype,” but listening to it is actually really fucking frustrating, because it’s like... WHERE’S THE BEEF?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|