Thread: Talk to me...
View Single Post
Old 07.19.2017, 08:54 AM   #66
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
alright dude so this was meant to be a PM and here it goes. i get to make an ass of myself in public! in any case i hope this is useful to you. wanted to write more but not knowing where to send/how to send i stopped. here it goes:

---

slavo hey!

i'm sorry it's taken me a while, i was swamped and without a method (i've reinstituted pomodoros, a life-saver), and we had a death in the family and all kinds of things but i'm giving your tracks some dedication now, and i've listened to the first one a few times: EXPO 80

so, first of all, i looooooooove the sound of the synthesizer, sounds like something very 70s, vangelis, or something. that fat analog sound, with a slight bit of reverb, that's just fantastic, fantastic. i love that loop and the way it fills the air.

you said treat them like demos and so i found 2 problems for me:

1) the voice of the (australian? australians?) is hard to tell what's he's saying. and so instead of hearing some and then forgetting, the brain tries to figure out what is going on. i listened to this with alone and with my wife, and she's a native english speaker, so it might be the level or something. personally, i don't prefer his voice, it sort of clashes.

i do love the static over the voice though, which for me comes across as a homage to daydream nation's "providence", except that it's not watt telling thurston about his lost weed (i heard that's what that was about) but instead it's some aussie saying something.

with that in mind i do wonder if the fans of your music would know who that guy is and what he's saying? but the vibe i get from him is not pleasant. don't mean to rag on the guy but not knowing what he's saying and his tone of voice makes me a little "nervous" in a way. don't know if that's the mood you want with it.

the other issue i found is that there is an overlay of something like chimes on the high end of the spectrum. and their sound is beautiful, but the notes tend to bleed into one another and generate a kinds of... skating or slipping sound, like when you rub glass with your finger, you know the sound? i like the idea a lot but not the pitch they generate. not sure why. so if this was more me i'd ask can you maybe a) make the silences between notes longer so that the new sound is not generated, or b) change things so that the generated pitch is different maybe-- more pleasant?

i need to listen to it again but i wanted to send you the notes over the weekend when i have more time. i'm writing this from memory so i'd like to listen live & read my notes & see if it corroborates.

so, please take everything i'm saying with a grain of salt. i might be completely wrong. this is just one subjective appreciation.

i really do love the synthesizer sound though! it fills the house GREAT.

this week i aim to proceed with the next track

where i listened to this:

i have an simple onkyo stereo amp and a couple of vintange pioneer speakers. which could probably use some reconing, lol, but they're clear enough at the volumes. which is: i filled the room a bit. i have a kind of a cathedral ceiling not a modern apartment. like a circus tent. so it takes 40W maybe? not deafening, just, fill up the room (some 10 meters across)

i listened to the tracks intently during work breaks and at the end of the day also. i thought i'd try with headphones as well on a different set.

also, i streamed from soundcloud. i'm really impressed by the quality of their stream. doesn't sound "streamy" at all!

okay! i hope this was somehow useful to you. please let me know what you think of my feedback and if i'm missing something. thanks for sharing the tracks! now on to the next one.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|