View Single Post
Old 04.04.2017, 08:39 PM   #250
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
oh and there was also this guy who calls himself Death Vessel, he supported Low during their Great Destroyer tour. He was quite good, but in Amsterdam I couldn't hear anything of what he was playing (acoustic folksongs), because all the people in the nearly sold out hall were chattering all over it.

I know Death Vessel. Never seen him live, but I have at least one album, and it's pretty bland, wussy singer-songwriters stuff that tricks you into thinking it might be OK with some interesting arrangements, but ultimately kind of sucks the big one, as far as I can tell.

But yeah, supporting acts are weird. Back before Spoon was huge, I went to a show just yearning for them, and their opening act -- the Natural History -- was really minor and I almost skipped their set. Then lo and behold, they turned out to be fucking awesome in a way similar to Spoon; good old fashioned indie rock with a generous amount of groove. They played a song called "Dance Steps" and it blew me away. Probably was the best performance of the night and I went immediately to the record store downtown the next morning and bought their record, which I rocked all summer.

Similarly, I once went to see a regionally famous tongue-in-cheek hardcore band in a basement. They were a draw, and the place was packed. This little known entity called Susto Amore opened and played THE MOST FUCKING EXQUISITELY BEAUTIFUL spacious angular post-rock/lo-fI hybrid shit -- weird choice for a hardcore show -- and people just talked over them, but I don't even remember a single moment of the headliner's performance, so enraptured was I by this little 3-piece's mesmerizing performance.

They broke up or dissolved or something shortly thereafter.

If anyone knows how to find anything by Susto Amore, a Pacific Northwest band from the early '00s, please tell me. They haunt my dreams.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|