View Single Post
Old 11.14.2017, 07:18 AM   #842
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
I was just trying to get a rise. I actually don't know much about him except he wrote a song about his momma and he dissed Taylor Swift.

Yes, I really have very little idea of what's been going on in popular music the past, say, decade. (In fact, I can't name a single Taylor Swift song off the top of my head.)

But my local library is fantastic. Well-stocked and you can check out 50 items at once. I currently have a stack of CDs that comes close to reaching my knee.

Three of those CDs are from Kenrick, who, like I said, I hadn't really heard until a week ago.

Last night I gave PIMP a cursory listen. Nothing grabbed me until "Complexion." That's followed by "Blacker the Berry," which gave me chills. I think I listened to that two song sequence about four times in a row. I was high, but still.

I dunno. Are we sure he didn't invent a whole new way of doing gangster rap, at least on the first album? He begins a verse with "Fresh outta school cuz I was a high school grad." I think I heard "six in the morning" somewhere, and I'm sure there are other gangster rap allusions I'm missing.

I think of consciousness rap as: the rapper has a strong point of view and tries to get it across.

Kendrick's world seems a lot more complex.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|