Thread: Loudness wars
View Single Post
Old 07.29.2010, 12:29 PM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
1) For the majority of bands, digital is more convenient and easier for editing. I've no real preference either way, but I would say that

2) Separated recording is nothing new; I'd be surprised if more than 70% of your (or anyone else's) record collection didn't feature a lot of this - it's pretty much endemic from around the mid-60s onwards. I tend to think that Albini likes to label himself as an 'engineer' because he doesn't want to take responsibility for the fact that his records more often than not sound like a pile of shit.

3) Meh. I'm not going to complain about having more choice than ever in the record market.

1) the key word there is editing, yes digital is better for editing, but for recording stick to tapes. Its not that terribly difficult to output a tape machine into a digital sound board on the mix down, and even on a DIY you can easily go from a tape-> 2-track analog mix down -> digitalize the copy -> edit and remaster on the computer

My major beef with digital recording is that people try to cram way to much into it, or even worse, they try to splice to many segments of good takes and make a horrible Frankenstein's monster out of it.. Go back to the Hendrix style of recording 38 takes and picking the best fucking one! Thats how I prefer it. When you splice and cut and paste too much, it comes out in the mix.

2) yes, I know multi-tracking was especially popular in the 60s and 70s, but I think the way they do it today is a bit of an overkill. In the 60s they were limited with what they could do by the number of tracks and quality of the machinery. They often recorded multiple pieces together on the same track at the same time. and at the least, when they went piece by piece on the tracks, they still did it together, in a studio and they rehearsed it all together in the studio, rather than perhaps at different studios as is commonly done on albums today. Many artists today go into the studio at completely separate times and record strictly to the tape. That shit sucks and you can hear the lack of togetherness, it sounds just as it is, cut and pasted together. The band should ALL go into the studio together, even if they are recording parts individually, and many bands and artists today simply do not do that, it has become a standard even!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|