Thread: SY & traditions
View Single Post
Old 06.26.2013, 12:49 AM   #25
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
I just thought maybe Kim is the only one who can make lyrics spontaneous. But on the other hand, are SYRS just spontainly made? Or do they at least made some plan what they´re going to play?

Good point! We've all heard Thurston trying to improvise lyrics on any given early version of a song (and sometimes beyond the early stage..), it's not pretty. Kim has more success with spontaneous vocal delivery/imagery.

Some songs are pre-conceived (Anagrama, Tremens, the Proud Marie portion of Slaapkamers, Stil, J'accuse Ted Hughes, possibly Agnes B?), some are trimmed down from larger improvisations (Improvisation Ajoutee, SYR3), some are live things with specific conditions (films in SYR6, timed entrances/exits in 8). I suspect much of SYR9 was at least mapped out before recording. Of course SYR4 was interpreted from the scores they worked out with Winant.

Every time I read this thread I mean to go listen to SYR7 and keep forgetting..not this time!
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|