View Single Post
Old 07.16.2008, 01:08 PM   #55
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Hunting down a lot of this stuff is either impossible or dries up your funds. I listen pretty much to any early electronic music all the time and never find it tiring because what a lot of what these people did was quite amazing considering that not only thye were the players but a lot of the time also the inventors or developers of these machines.

Yeah, seen.

I have a theory that the best musicians do what they do in spite of their instrument's limitations (actually, the truth of the matter is that there's no such thing as the 'perfect instrument', they're all flawed somehow). With the first 20-30 years of electronic instruments people either made the best of a bad lot (early hip-hop/ tapeloopers/ your TGs and Cabs) or invented an instrument to articulate their thoughts (your Buchlas and the like) or explored but didn't transpose new ideas to new instruments (Oliveros/ Cage/ Stockhausen etc). When you get to the realm of standardised instruments (the moog/ 'commercial' synthesisers) people tend to stick to set formats, which can be wonderful (techno, HHC, DnB) or fiddle about with inappropriate structures (I'm thinking of dire indie with synths).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|