View Single Post
Old 04.25.2009, 03:46 PM   #39
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
I'm agreeing with this.

Nation Of Millions is back to back powerful, noisy brilliance. It's like getting punched in the face for half an hour. My main point being that there is no rest, it just never quits until it's over.

Fear Of A Black Planet has too much filler if you ask me. Well maybe not filler, but just stuff that breaks up the flow of the album. Pollywanacracka, Incident at 66.6 FM, Anti-Nigger Machine, Reggie Jax, et al. Though Burn Hollywood Burn and 911 Is A Joke are two of my favourite Enemy tracks, I still don't think this album is a satisfying follow-up to Nation Of Millions.

I dunno... having listened to it again recently, the melodies on Bring The Noise, Cold Lampin With Flava, Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos, etc, are all based around single, over-familiar samples: they’re linear and flat.

To me, they're indistinguishable to the songs on Paid In Full, Critical Beatdown, Strictly Business, etc, which use the same samples, no more like getting punched in the face for half-an- hour than listening to James Brown is!

I know it seems like I’m being a bit reductionist here, as I’m not mentioning Chuck D's voice (which does distinguish them), but I’m concentrating on the music only.

However you listen to the first (proper) song on Fear Of A Black Planet, and there are about six layers of samples at once; a disco-sounding melody, electro flourishes, Prince solo, various sound-effects, and more, all at once... its controlled chaos, and as the album proceeds it becomes so full-sounding, so dense and claustrophobic! Also this gives it more replay-value. I like all of the short songs on it too, the little fragments: it gives it a DJ mixtape-feel.

Anyhow they're the impressions that I get...
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|