View Single Post
Old 05.24.2015, 03:40 PM   #46697
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Yeah, you have posted that before. And I still don't get why one thing has to destroy another, instead of simply presenting an option. As a consumer, don't you sometimes want dumb and sometimes want smart?

it his criticism was directed not at saintliness itself (he speaks of a "big tent") but at mackaye's puritanism looming large over the dc scene around that era. he does it by exaggerating the opposite pole. the results are hilarious, but false. still, your van halen post brought that dialectic to mind. just wanted to illustrate its recurrence. mackaye in some interview talks about how when he was a kid all these rockstars were self-destructing and he wanted to avoid precisely that-- he mentions how the great john bonham went die at 32.

http://bandwidth.wamu.org/ian-mackay...ull-the-blade/

And I mean, John Bonham, he died at 32 years old, one of the greatest drummers of all time.

one of the greatest drummers of all time! take that, zeppelin hater! ha ha ha.

anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
!!! Johnathan Richman as Jim Morrison's weird, talented cousin suddenly makes the record even better.

i don't know that he was "weird" compared to morrison. he was awkward maybe and an innocent and earnest and not death-obsessed-- morrison is the weirdo here. richman is normal... he's straight! and he wants to... take your place. because you're always stoned.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|