View Single Post
Old 05.24.2015, 01:08 PM   #46693
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Yeah, you have posted that before. And I still don't get why one thing has to destroy another, instead of simply presenting an option. As a consumer, don't you sometimes want dumb and sometimes want smart?

Anyway, I can think of a lot of rock that is fun and political, so I'm not sure I see the boundaries. Chuck Berry's "Brown Eyed Handsome Man," the very dancable Gang of Four, etc. And maybe I'm just an empty-headed tool, but I'm pretty sure the politics in the rock I listened to in my formative years did have an effect, and I think I still retained a sense of humor.

!!! Johnathan Richman as Jim Morrison's weird, talented cousin suddenly makes the record even better.

I'm gonna spin this one later today, I think.

----

How did we get on the subject of music? We're supposed to be fighting.

Faggot.

I've always thought of Richman as kind of a "Morrison for the rest of us" -- the comparison definitely works, and I think it makes the Modern Lovers that much more interesting as a whole.

Incidentally, I once hear someone make a similar statement about Sonic Youth and The Beatles. I was arguing that SY's influence on more straight forward "rock-type" artists was probably less the result of people actually listening to their music and trying to replicate it than it was a by-product of their industry influence; all the networking, PR and marketing they did for bands from their larger community.

But my friend said that he'd always considered SY to be, essentially, a pop band in the tradition of the Beatles. A self-contained unit of four personalities, all of which contributed to the writing and sound of the band. Sure, they were a pretty extra-terrestrial kind of "pop" band, but they were like a perfect pop-rock entity, like the Beatles only from another dimension, often imitated but never replicated.

I thought this made SY even more fun to listen to. I'm still not sure if I agree, but thinking of them this way has made for some interesting comparisons. Suddenly "Karen Koltrane" feels a bit like "While my Guitar Gently Weeps" and Murray Street feels a bit like Abbey Road. It's empty speculation at best, but it kinda makes a lot of sense. Jim O'Rourke would be the Billy Preston of the bunch, I guess?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|