View Single Post
Old 11.18.2012, 06:41 PM   #37
hypertonic
bad moon rising

hypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I don't think it's the best, but I can see how a major Sonic Youth fan might think so. To me, as an album, it's actually not very strong, yet it is full of great great songs. It's not like DDN or Murray Street, both albums defined by their beginning to end flow; it's more like a compilation of individual songs that don't seem to have a whole lot to do with one another. But they're some of the best songs the band came up with on the second half of their career.

Pattern Recognition comes closer to the intensity of DDN and Sister than any other song of the '90s or '00s.]

Perhaps this has something to do with the post 2000 era of the single-song-format (itunes or download) release concept vs. entire album concept thing, intentionally or not. I wouldn't think that SY would approach it that way, but it does seem like the ideas/concepts are compressed down to individual songs. It seems like the album is a mishmash of influences, from William Gibson/PKD to Bush, the Richard Prince Nurse artwork/paintings. I wish I knew more about what the influences and making of this album were. The songs are great, and sometimes SY's off-kilter odd song or take on things was part of their charm. I still think Nurse was one of their better, later records and kinda represented to me, what I thought there aiming to do, which was meld a certain brand of sonic pop noise rock hybrid. Nurse was, to me the best execution, and one of the SY albums that far surpassed my expectations. I kinda always wanted an inverse Sonic Nurse where most of the tracks sounded like Arthur Doyle/Mariah Carey, and only a couple tracks were melodic. I remember telling my buddies, okay THIS is better than Zepplin.. (talking about Stones) I'm thankful I got to see them in 2004 when I really got back into the band.

(....my Pitchfork piece, hah)
hypertonic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|