View Single Post
Old 11.18.2012, 05:38 PM   #35
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
That depends on whether you are following the rules of British English or American English. The British consider "Sonic Youth" to be plural, as they do with teams names and other groups. In America, we treat it as a "collective noun," which makes it singular. In other words, when we say "Sonic Youth," we are referring to a single band, not the collection of individuals who comprise the band.

I'm sure that's more explanation than anyone gives a crap to read! :+)

No, it's not too much. In fact it's about damn time. Thank you. Someone needed to explain this in simple terms.

As for me, I don't care about what the Brits do. The band is called Sonic Youth. Like Black Sabbath. Collective noun all day long. The cover of Sister was a fluke.
I had a friend in college who referred to them as "the" Sonic Youth all the time and it sounded pretentious as hell.

I'm not sure why... But he was a pretentious son of a bitch anyway, so there you go.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|