View Single Post
Old 01.07.2010, 04:02 AM   #17
hat and bread
children of satan

hat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I was going to reply to this last night.

I tried, a while ago, to find some dancers for an 'improv project'. The problem I found is that dancers, like most musicians, often don't 'gel' with the idea of improv. I'm sure there are dancers out there who get it, but even dancers who are aware of butoh or contact improv seem to baulk at the idea of getting involved with 'improv' music.

So, basically, to answer the earlier question, I think you'd be better off asking this question on a dance forum, because the (frankly shit) bands Caroliner or Residents are probably the best answers you're getting from this forum (although I'm going to check out Shibusashirazu who I'm not aware of).

Shibusa are a pretty incredible thing to witness live, especially in smaller venues. I definitely recommend seeing them if you get the chance.

Someone who I think is good at mixing dance and Improv (with a capital I) is Chie Mukai of Che Shizu fame. I did a thing with her last week that involved about 30 butoh dancers and 10 musicians, which surprisingly ended up being pretty successful. Ms. Mukai is a dancer herself and I think the success of the event was largely a result of her monthly improv ( with a lowercase i) workshops. Hopefully someone will post it on Youtube soon.
Here is the same event several years ago sans me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SP8LC5rkoM
hat and bread is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|