View Single Post
Old 09.03.2016, 10:14 AM   #19464
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Well starting from the principle that no film is objectively good or bad, I never liked it, mainly because I couldn't stand Hulce's bratty performance. I think I heard somewhere that Polanski was meant to direct it, with him playing Mozart (as he did in the original stage version). That may have worked far better. It's weird though because if there's one thing I'd say about all the Forman films I've seen besides Amadeus: whatever I've thought about them generally, the acting's usually been great. But Hulce was a directorial decision that backfired massively for me.

I agree completely. Hulce was the killing stroke for me on the film version. Eliminate him from the equation, and I wouldn't have much to complain about. Honestly, I don't dislike it enough to fight about it, or to deny that it has some excellent qualities. But it does seem to aim for that middling "Academy gold" mark, which so often leans far too heavily on eye-catching production values and far too little on captivating performances. It's cartoonish.

F. Murray Abraham really is great in the film, but Hucle is just embarrassing.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|