View Single Post
Old 08.31.2009, 06:29 AM   #7
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Doesn't look like it, but then again the info is rather sketchy so far. You know how these things go: sometimes a smaller label linked to the artist releases vinyl versions and/or side projects. As a matter of fact, a certain New York band proceeds in such fashion constantly. Their name escapes me at the moment...

Anyway, my intrepid reporting skills clearly abandoned me right before I started this thread; evidently, the 12 disc pill pack isn't some insane idea they came up with for the reissue, but an insane idea they already tried circa 1997, when they released "each of the 12 songs in its own individually-wrapped 3-inch CD, inside a large blister pack and box":

What I'd really like to know is whether somewhere on those two additional discs we'll be fortunate enough to find the original version of the opening song - the one with the proper "Can't Help Falling in Love" bit. Most likely not, because Heaven forbid one should associate Elvis with drugs! Unthinkable! This, of course, being the kind of move which propels eBay sellers to charge you 95 bucks for a copy of the advance promo. Ah well, at least I'm sure John Prine is still cool with the references to "Sam Stone" on "Cop Shoot Cop" (if you haven't heard Prine's tune, check out some great Dime torrents like this pre-FM from 1970 or this BBC in Concert from 1971).

One more thing about this gorgeous album (and I realize this unfortunately dabbles in yellow tabloid paraphernalia): I don't care how much of a junkie prick Jason Pierce could be back then, you don't replace him with that wretched pathetic hack from the FUCKING VERVE. I mean, you just don't, man...

I nearly bought the 12 cds box back then. Thankfully I went for the normal version in the end, which is a pain because the whole box has to be kept together by elastic bands. I think there was a normal case version of the cd too.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|