View Single Post
Old 01.22.2017, 01:54 PM   #18
zelocia
bad moon rising

zelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I can appreciate the logic behind this, and it's true that Sonic Youth's discography has been the subject of many literary musings over the years. But I still think Thurston's recording history with Sonic Youth was an integral part of his growth and evolution as a player, and while I can understand not wanting the SY albums to steal the show, I can't really think of a feasible argument for omitting them completely.

Also, I think a lot of the published writing on SY had been pretty shit. Goodbye 20th Century was interesting, but also not very good. So I'd welcome some discussion of the SY albums. Even as a sidebar, separate from the main chronology of the text. Sort of a "Meanwhile, in Sonic Youth land..." kind of thing. But hey, maybe when the for the second edition.

I completely agree. I also think in ways Thurston's Sonic Youth material could be it's own book. I've read Goodbye 20th Century, Confusion is Next, the Sonic Youth chapter is Our Band Could Be Your Life. I own Sensational Fix, and I have not read it from cover to cover, but it is the only comprehensive Sonic Youth book in my opinion. I kind of wish Kim had discussed the band more in her memoir, but I also understand that she didn't want to do that. It would be interesting if Thurston wrote his own memoir though I highly doubt that he will.
zelocia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|