Thread: Bikini kill
View Single Post
Old 06.03.2006, 12:41 PM   #98
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine
There were plenty of ways for them to do that without getting the annoying little sister vibe going. Trust me.
Their logic is dumb, first and foremost because presenting yourself as a little girl and wanting to be treated as an equal component in society is bullshit. Not to mention that holding all-female music festivals is partaking and promoting separatism, which I personally do not agree with in any sense. That would make them hypocrites, because if they really did want to be treated like equals, they would not have alienated themselves from the men.

I think there's a slight difference between wanting to be treated as equals and wanting to be treated as women without having to take shit for it.

But you can criticize the logic of the movement all you want. I could really care less. The riot grrl politics have no bearing on my enjoyment of the music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
that's what i was trying to highlight earlier, public enemy were ground breaking in terms of their music aswell as their politics. if you go back and listen to fear of a black planet, nobody had ever produced a hiphop record with beats with that much depth, there's so much going on in the music itself regardless of what chuck d was saying in his rhymes that PE's records would be classics with or without the lyrical subject matter, i saw an interview with hank shocklee talking about how they produced that record and they were getting up to all kinds of tricks to make that record sound different to anything that had come out before. i couldn't say the same about bikini kill, i mean they weren't pushing music in any new directions, even in terms of being sloppy, noisey or aggressive. it sounded like they were trying to turn the clock back 15 years. as far as gil scott-heron goes, i mean he was just about as high a calibre of lyricist as it's possible to be, and he played with really great musicians, or on the records where it's just him with a drum beat his lyrics are so well written that they don't really need to be carried by any musical accompniment.

That's fine. I've never thought music has to be groundbreaking or pushing things in new directions. Shit, half the music I listen to doesn't fall under that criteria. As long as it's well done I'm happy.