Thread: Bikini kill
View Single Post
Old 06.02.2006, 06:50 PM   #92
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHandsOnTheBigOne
And I don't necessarily know that they wouldn't want to be judged by the merits of their music. Just because they're fighting for something doesn't mean they can't be legitimate musicians as well. Gil-Scott Heron for example. Or Public Enemy as you said. It's just that instead of making hip hop they're making punk rock. Which by it's very nature is a bunch of racket played by pissed off folks.

that's what i was trying to highlight earlier, public enemy were ground breaking in terms of their music aswell as their politics. if you go back and listen to fear of a black planet, nobody had ever produced a hiphop record with beats with that much depth, there's so much going on in the music itself regardless of what chuck d was saying in his rhymes that PE's records would be classics with or without the lyrical subject matter, i saw an interview with hank shocklee talking about how they produced that record and they were getting up to all kinds of tricks to make that record sound different to anything that had come out before. i couldn't say the same about bikini kill, i mean they weren't pushing music in any new directions, even in terms of being sloppy, noisey or aggressive. it sounded like they were trying to turn the clock back 15 years. as far as gil scott-heron goes, i mean he was just about as high a calibre of lyricist as it's possible to be, and he played with really great musicians, or on the records where it's just him with a drum beat his lyrics are so well written that they don't really need to be carried by any musical accompniment.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|