View Single Post
Old 09.11.2014, 07:11 AM   #1065
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
sev, no offense taken. It's all opinions of course. You don't have to like Em. He's one of those dudes that's really frustrating to me. But interesting nonetheless. MMLP is def a fav of mine in his discography though.

as far as Weezy goes, we were in slightly similar boats, but not. I paid no attention to him, thinking at the time that any rapper w/ "Lil" in his name was probably lame. But same thing. Buzz started happening. Trusted sources buzzing. And I heard "Shooter" cuz my wife had the Robin Thicke album it was on. I was gonna wow'd. So I went out and got Carter II and my mind was just completely blown. After that I got really into his mixtape scene - had really followed that in 2007. So when Carter III came out, it was one of those days where my calendar looked like this: (1) wake up, (2) buy Carter III, (3) listen to Carter III, (4) repeat #3. In my mind it was the last great 'release date' because I can vividly remember going from store to store looking for a copy that came w/ The Leak bonus disc (never found one) and I mean it was early in the morning and there were crowds of dudes there just to buy C3. And remember, 2008 was like officially iTunes/digital music era by now right? But it was still a big deal for THIS ALBUM that people wanted to guy to a store and buy it. Was awesome.

But yeah that closing track. You def feel the same as me. Those real serious tracks - the ones where he had a story to tell, an opinion to voice, SOMETHING TO SAY - I miss those. Hard. They were the real reason he seemed like a hero at the time. And at least back then his freeform tracks tended to have a theme: "Phone Home" used alien puns, "Dr. Carter" used medical terms, and so on. Now it's tough to look at the lyrics of his album tracks and see them as much different than his mixtape freestyles.

Also I agree w/ you on WHY he made Rebirth. But I also really like Rebirth, ha!