View Single Post
Old 05.30.2006, 03:30 PM   #37
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
OK, let's get started. Read whatever translation you want. There are several different ones. The Guerney one is the "official" book club one.

First meeting will be tomorrow at 5 PM Central time. It is 3:30 Central Time now, for reference. We will discuss the first chapter. I will start a thread here on the board and I will open a chat room on Yahoo. You need to register at Yahoo to get in. Details will be in the thread tomorrow.

Let me know if this is a bad time. I have to work Thursday and Friday night and I'm flying to Georgia on Saturday. I will be back on June 11. We can discuss Chapters 2 and 3 one day the week I get back.

I know that it will be hard to all meet at exactly the same time. Tell me if you can think of a better time. Any later might be too late for boardies in the UK. I will make the thread tomorrow AT 5. Or whenever we decide.

About the translations: what translation you read makes a big difference. (I've always really loved Norton Critical Editions and Norton Critical Scores. I'm sure you'll be fine.) I think that you guys should avoid the earlier translations though. If you want to go with the P&V, you'd probably be fine. I read their Crime and Punishment and it was good. I'm just scared of translations before Guerney because, like !@#$% said, Nabokov said they suck. And Nabokov is my hero and everything he says is truth.

So, tomorrow at 5 PM unless there is a consensus that that time doesn't work.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|