View Single Post
Old 04.14.2008, 08:01 PM   #12
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Really?

Do Young@Heart Chorus write and perform their own songs?
Are Young@Heart Chorus even recording artists?
Does anyone sit around and listen to this stuff?
Isn't it really a goof?
Isn't it really in a sense just a way to laugh with old people instead of directly at them?
And in the end, isn't this new doc just some ingenious marketer's ploy to offer up some feelgood fodder?

The original BBC documentary was called "Young at Heart." Since then, as we know, this a cappella cover group novelty act has taken flight on the internet, and the latest documentary movie has been titled "Young@Heart" for the sake of synergy with its online popularity.

Now, again, it's not that I find this destestable completely. No doubt there's plenty of entertainment of some fashion to be found in the soon-to-be-realesed-in-the-U.S. docu-reality-thingie. But what is particularly questionable is all the people who write in hyperbole as if this is the greatest thing ever.

A couple of the people die in the movie and I suppose death will be dealt with too. That's what makes me hopeful, but also makes me cringe. The thought of the real deaths of these old people being possibly marginalized in reality tv fashion sickens me. That's what I really meant earlier about exploting their pathos for a buck. I haven't seen it, mind you, but I do see a trend in documentaries getting more and more loose with the form for entertainment value.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|