View Single Post
Old 07.03.2008, 04:03 PM   #9
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I've had this thought before...

It's hard to separate an artist from his art, at least in my eyes... it's difficult for me to, say, read a book by someone I don't like, regardless of how good of a writer it is. But I still acknowledge him as a good writer.

With music, the line is blurred a bit more, because even if Lee was a child molestor, the rest of the band isn't -- he is merely 25% (or 20% when O'Rourke was there) of a band... why should I stop listening to a band because I don't like one member?

Basically, it comes down to.. if good music is good music, then it doesn't really matter to me, because most musicians have probably done a shit-ton of things I don't agree with or that are evil in my eyes. I can't deny a good riff, no matter who wrote it.

For example, I really enjoy Charles Manson's solo records... I think he wrote some damn good songs. I don't mind some Skrewdriver and some Vaginal Jesus also... there's this amazing racist black metal/crust hybrid band called ARGHOSLENT that's just amazing... I will never completely see eye-to-eye with anyone's points of views or actions so I'm not going to stop listening to music just because I don't agree with what they've done.

It sure would give some songs a creepy edge though... "Hey Joni" for example could actually be about a little girl Lee molested!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|