View Single Post
Old 03.24.2017, 11:59 AM   #77
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
"Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
It tends to sound dynamically similar to SY, but with, like, a piece taken out. Almost like we're listening to isolated takes of SY songs that are missing the overlay of the other members.

Is this Googe and Steve playing on this?

same here.

yeah, I think both.

still. great punk rock a la Thurston. at times mellow, but then there is stuff like Full Bleed to substitute it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I see the point being made here and agree, IMO it has some to do with the guitar tuning Thurston is using (CGDGCD) which has been probably his most used guitar tuning since 2004-ish and the fact that James Sedwards is playing in the same tuning and both of them are doing fair number of sections where riffs are matching or doubled. In SY Lee and Thurston would often not be in the same tuning starting from the 90's thru the end of 2009. So the tonal scope of the songs appeared wider.

I get the feeling that these songs are Thurston's and he has a very specific sound and idea of how the parts should sound, though I'm guessing James is having freedom on the soloing as that is not Thurston's technical forte.
That's what seperate's this band from SY/Chelsea Light Moving in that James conjours up soloing that's based off of rather conventional blues rock sounding scales. Even with all of that its still interesting to me.

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|