View Single Post
Old 02.28.2010, 01:30 PM   #87
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
It doesn't have anything to do with XIU XIU, which I don't care for either way, but I'd be interested to know what you think of how minimalistic no wave, punk or whatever seems to have reached a cul de sac in terms of melodic creativity. Personally I tend to think that the temple of DIY struggles more than ever these days.

It's difficult to say. I don't listen to enough of it to have a serious opinion. When I do, I find very little of interest - there's rarely much in the way of melody, and rarely much in the way of anything. In terms of melodic creativity, I tend to think that pop has definitely done it better for a long time. That's not to say that JLS aren't utterly shite (they are), but something like the chorus to this is better than anything I've heard from the guitar-ish underground in the last 5 years. Having said that, I do think that bands like Xinlisupreme (remember them?) or this guy (a mate of mine) can do very simple and good melodies while ostensibly making a cuntload of racket.

But, as you know, I listen to a lot of Happy Hardcore, and I can hardly defend that on any level except I like it and it's fast. So I wouldn't take any notice of my opinions, because I'd never expect to be consistent. I've been listening to a lot of Helmut Lachenmann lately, and he's incredibly good at dropping a melody in that's achingly simple and massively unexpected. Ligeti to.

I don't know. Whatever the answer is, it's not Pavement (unless the question is 'who are shit?')

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|