Thread: John Fahey
View Single Post
Old 03.22.2019, 09:53 AM   #160
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I mean, he was an uneducated guy from bumfuck Indiana who had a horrible life most of the time. That he was able to just go on the internet and spend all his time absorbing films and music and wanting to share it with people is awesome and it's nice that he was able to bond with me and many others through it. He never tried to act like an academic with any of this stuff, it was always just gushing fandom to me and I needed that enthusiasm when I was an awkward teenager who liked things other people my age didn't.

It also felt like he was able to start expressing himself better in the last few years he was alive but not posting here, as horribly depressing as the things he was going through at the time was. The unfinished last film he was making was full of genuinely interesting worked out ideas and got away from the "I'm a weeeeeeird underground filmmaker dude" stuff he would fall back on a lot. I would have liked to have seen what he would have made had he reached a comfortable state of adulthood.

I get that if you take everything he said here at face value, the "my girlfriend put her finger up my butt" stuff, the "I've heard 500 Merzbow albums and seen 99 Godard films and here is all of them ranked" stuff, you would find him quite obnoxious. A lot of that stuff was obviously exaggerated, but it was a fun persona to a lot of people and made them want to be as excited as he tried to come across. Also, you're English and the English always think Americans are loudmouths hahaha.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|