View Single Post
Old 02.16.2010, 06:21 PM   #62
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley

Maybe Melvins are an indie kid-approved metal band but that's getting into audience-criticism. I don't buy that is the only reason people would listen to the Melvins, besides which the Melvins were around before the indie kid meme-set. Is wanting the metal hold the shredding so terrible? Or is wanting Metallica's core sound without that shredding and other affiliated metal tropes so shamefully indie?

The thing with music is that there is a vernacular of musicology. The problem with rock is that pretty much anything like the Melvins is a very short conversation. Blues, slower, sometimes fewer intervals, long. That's it. Talking about the audience gets to the genuine subtleties in the music (timbre, tone, production etc) much quicker than describing what valves they use on their amps. It's usually easier to use oblique, inexact euphemisms than it is to treat music like a lab-case.

I'm telling you this like you're a fucking idiot, rather than playing the fucking idiot.

The 'indie kid meme-set' [incidentally, that's a grotesque phrase] is a paradigm that predates any exact chronology. Again, inexact language.

Regardless of all this, the Melvins remain shit. Although there was one track I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|