View Single Post
Old 08.10.2015, 04:26 PM   #18914
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
detlef sierck's (douglas sirk's) "la habanera" -- his last german film.

a lot of over-the-top acting and melodrama with much propaganda for the nordic "soul" and against the hell of the tropics. or so it seems to be. a hilarious mishmash of "latin" stereotypes that of course includes excertps from bizet's "carmen." of course! tyrants, toreros, tropical maladies, latin lovers, women in black veils-- really, the works.

i can't say i didn't enjoy it though-- i did, and not just for the involuntary comedy and the talk-back-treatment we inflicted upon it, but there are moments of good filmmaking and cinematography, plus some genuine humor, all perceivable in spite of the bad dvd transfer from "poor man's criterion" kino video. and if you're willing to overlook some ridiculousness, it's as half-watchable as any hollywood film of the same era-- and probably more than most.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|