View Single Post
Old 12.03.2008, 02:00 PM   #78
themawt71
the destroyed room

themawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's asses
"no, your wrong. When the tones of a chord are in close-voicings, or non-standard scale tones they are considered [u]atonal"

no... you're wrong!

when the tones of a chord are in close voicings all that means is the tones of a chord are in close voicings. i can play stacked major and minor seconds for days and not play atonal music. i just stay with these notes for example c,d,e,f,g,a,b and i'm tonal.... there is a lot of dissonance to be found in tonal music.

there are plenty of instances where non standard scale tones are used in tonal music. jazz music for instance. all of those sharp and flatted ninths, fourths, fifths, sixths, sevenths...... all used in very tonal music. charlie parker was all about tonal music!!!

a·to·nal·i·ty [ey-toh-nal-i-tee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun Music.
1. the absence of key or tonal center.

when atonal music first appeared in the classical world schoenberg was the big guy. he decided he was going to take all 12 tones of the octave and have them treated equally. as in there would be no dominant 5th interval or chord that wil resolve neatly and predictably to the one for example.

tonal music uses 7 specific notes from the octave. each has it's own unique use. we can add the other 5 tones from the octave to these 7 tones and still maintain tonality. you could look at tonality almost as a hierarchy of tones.

atonal music demolishes this hierarchy and any 12 notes at any time can be fair game. it demolishes the tonal center.

lets take confusion is sex. alot of it is tonal!!!!! sometimes when lee and thurston are making screeching noises with their guitars more often than not the bass is thumping away on one or more notes. this keeps the song grounded in tonality while lee and thurston fly above with their atonal textures. i have not done an analysis of the cd or anything like that so there indeed may be instances of atonality but more often than not.....

generally speaking soinc youth the rock band are a tonal band that use atonal textures. every now and then they may accidently be atonal in the sense of schoenberg but rarely. i cant see them writing out tone rows and composing that way.

one last thing.....

i dreamed i dream

the whole fucking thing is is the key of C. although in one chord an E flat is used simultaneously with an E natural. this is an example of a non chord tone used in the context of some crushing tonality.
themawt71 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|