Thread: Girls Rock! DC
View Single Post
Old 08.17.2009, 08:22 PM   #118
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kierkegaarden
here's 20 off the top of my not taking you seriously, research your own criteria

Catherine Ribeiro
Briggite Fontaine
Mama Bea Tekielski
Wanda Jackson
Janis Martin
Siouxsie's debut misses your arbitrary parameters by three years
Nico
Dara Puspita
The Pearl Sisters
Delta 5
The Ronnettes
The Crystals
The Shangri-Las
Little Peggy March
The Shirelles
NINA SIMONE WAS PRETTY FUCKING PUNK
Rosa Yemen
Niagara of Destroy All Monsters
Suburban Lawns were ahead of the game
Teenage Jesus & the Jerks
Pierrot Lunaire

my parameters weren't arbitrary, the point i'm making is that prior to punk (i.e. 1976, and the first time their was any kind of direct challenge to the male domination of rock n roll) to see a woman playing an instrument in a band was very rare, it is still not the case that the number of women playing in rock bands is in equal proportion to the number of women who make up the audience of rock music.
i don't need to research this, but you clearly do as firstly a good deal of the bands you mentioned are post '76, secondly a good deal of them aren't rock n roll (and please explain what nina simone has to do with punk?), and the majority that remain are singers, i.e. what was then considered the only acceptable place for a woman in a band, i.e. the men were in charge of everything else.
and lastly, most of those are so obscure that they are irrelevant to anyone but internet nerds and serious record collectors, oh, and 9 year olds going to summer camp.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|