View Single Post
Old 03.13.2015, 11:53 AM   #308
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall91
I finished the book this week. One thing I don't understand is so many fans' disinterest in, borderline anger about her writing about the affair. The person who's been the mysterious, cool, collected, strong silent one in the band finally opens up and gets backlash for doing so - accusations of the book making her "more like celebrities," or doing it "just to sell books." How about it's a book about her life, and this is obviously a huge part of her life? How could she leave it out? I don't understand how Thurston can have a six-year affair and people somehow aren't as angry with him as they are with Kim for talking about it. She wasn't the one who broke up the band - he was. It wasn't a momentary lapse of judgment - it was a full-blown affair. Anyone who's ever been in a band knows that the band is like a marriage - so he didn't just cheat on her, he cheated on the band. I thought the first chapter of the book was so powerful and so emotional - why aren't self-proclaimed fans feeling empathy instead of apathy? Who cares how you feel? Can you just cut the crap and please tell me what Beauty Lies in the Eye is about? Instead, people are just sad to find out that our idols are actual humans and don't live up to our fairytale ideals of them. I get it - like Rob Instigator's review said, it did feel like your parents getting divorced. Maybe seeing the details in stark print just confirm what everyone knew but didn't want to admit. But that's not Kim's fault - that's just life.

Having gotten that off my chest, as a rock autobiography, I found it average (though to be fair, I read it right after Al Jourgensen's book - so the contrast was stark and anything would seem tame in comparison.) As a piece of art, I found it above average. I thought her writing was a lot like SY's music - bursts of emotion and energy, some poetic, mixed with some noise, some of which went on for a bit longer than I'd have liked.

I feel empathy for Kim, no doubt.

my book arrived only today, must find a proper time to read it now.

nice to see you around thewall91!

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|