View Single Post
Old 03.23.2016, 07:30 PM   #71
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpuff
Actually, I just listened through Attica! about 5 hours ago, after checking out their KEXP performance of material from it. I have to say, I almost even think I like it better than their newest release.

I also found out they are playing here in June. Pretty stoked about that. But in watching their latest KEXP, I saw them playing as a trio with no drums and bass. Is this common for them? I assume they will have a full touring band when they come around. Even though it was still enjoyable, it did not hold a candle to the previous performance of Attica! stuff (in my opinion).

Either way, I have grown quite fond of them in just the past week. Thanks for the recommendations.

You're welcome. Yes, the full band is a quintet and they fuckin' rock. Sometimes Cleaver and Lisa Walker perform as Wussy (Duo), though. That Chuck is one lucky sumbitch!

Robert Christgau's A+ review of Attica! includes a Sonic Youth mention:

Quote:
Attica! [Shake It, 2014]

In which the best band in America remains the best song band in America while passing the Sonic Youth consortium on the outside to become the best distorto-guitar band in America, and although the competition in both categories has thinned out, how many ever dared combine it? Television? Nirvana? The Thompson Couple? That is the territory here. What once seemed the overkill of replacing minimalist Dawn Burman with muscleman Joe Klug opened a thruway to the big beat. What once seemed the neighborly gesture of taking in Ass Ponys steel hand John Erhardt powered sonic dimensions arena-rock dumbos risk tinnitus to achieve with Marshall stacks. The lyrics mix heroic feats of individual transcendence with a romantic striving vexed equally by economics and psychology as the melodies flow on unabated. Gender parity also guaranteed. A+

More: Wussy: Battle Cries & Butterflies

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|