View Single Post
Old 03.09.2008, 10:30 PM   #13
tscaw
empty page

tscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's asses
I went to the opening. These paintings have a textural quality that could never be conveyed in two dimensions--I was not so impressed by the scanned images on the KS Art website, but the actual work was much better. Making judgments on visual art based on reproductions is always dangerous.

The gallery is small, and Kim had it set up like a living room environment. There is an old stereo set up on the floor at one end, playing a Mirror/Dash CD on infinite repeat, and two white shag throw rugs on the floor. A couple folks actually sat down on the rugs before the place got packed. The paintings are small--8.5x11, mostly--and the metallic paint lends them all a glittery sheen. The rice paper is curled and undulating with the weight of the paint. Some of the "portraits" are so abstract it is difficult to make out a head or a face in the blotches. The Mirror/Dash CD was for sale with a booklet--only 100 copies--that reprints several of the paintings, and the CD has a single 5:12 untitled track that sounds like a VU bootleg of "Lady Godiva's Operation" playing at half speed.

I saw Bob Bert and Richard Kern there when I arrived. Thurston was there, of course, and after a while Lee and Leah and their kids showed up. I didn't see Steve, but I realized that with Bob Bert present there was at least one SY incarnation present in the gallery at one point. Mark Ibold was there as well, of course. He is always there.
tscaw is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|