View Single Post
Old 02.01.2010, 02:50 PM   #26
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
hipster rap opinion timelime:

1980-2001: rap is garbage,it isn't even music they just use loops from other peoples records and all they do is talk

2001-2007: i only like underground, the mainstream is so generic and the lyrics are materialistic and offensive to women, i like rappers who have their own sound and talk about something important,like atmosphere,mf doom and aesop rock

2008-????: i hate that underground backpacker shit, it's so pretentious and only appeals to hipsters. i like rappers like lil' wayne and gucci mane, they got so much swagger and such wordplay, they rhyme about unpretentious subjects like strippers and cars, i walked through a lower income neighbourhood recently and nobody bothered me because i'm clearly in touch with da streetz

perfect analysis, accept that the only people who tend to "walk through a lower income neighbourhood" (sure some people drive thru but there is a world of difference)are folks who have some sort of business there, licit, illicit or otherwise and block boys will most definitely check your pass, best to get it stamped in advance.

funny, I grew up in the whole "rap sucks" era, it was so ridiculous cuz as Rob already pointed out, weren't there quite a few popular, even mainstream rappers in the 80s? 90s seemed to be a segregationist era in music, people drew lines in the sand and became way to loyal to one set or another..

i also remember back in the late 90s/early 2000s when all the 'underground' (aka not rap, usually conscious, often DIY) hip hop was crackin in the computers of white kids from rural nebraska and korean kids in West LA.. the hipsters wouldn't touch that shit nor did they even know where to get it! Fuck, I remember when lame ass 50cent was some underground rapper putting DIY shit out on the internet, but look how that shit BLEW UP!

The 2000s are to generic rap music what the 90s were to 'grunge' bands and the 70s to 'punk' bands, an era where anyone who made remotely 'underground' beats and were not studio rappers would get signed and mainstream distributed regardless of talent or the lack there of..

and today, hipsters liking ridiculous radio rap, ignorant music for the sake of ignorance, sweet jesus popular culture can be confusing some times..

it all come downs to the poignant analysis of David Bowie..

"I'm affraid of Americans."

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|