View Single Post
Old 01.24.2013, 01:07 PM   #17044
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
Anyone who thinks L'avventura and/or Barry Lyndon are boring ought to be sterilized (Just kidding, but still)
well they are "boring" in that a lot less happens between the actors than in other films. the narration is more visual in style.

if you consider that the snappy dialogue of "the maltese falcon" makes it one of demonrail's favorite movies you can see how the polar opposite of more cinematography-based films wouldn't tickle him so much. (im going to venture a guess and presume he's probably not crazy about"kooyanisqatsi" or tarkovski's "solaris" either.)

these are difficult movies in general because they depart from the conventions of filmed theatre that inform traditional film. you have to get accustomed to their language and that's not always an easy transition-- and even if you get their alternative conventions it doesn't mean that the movie itself has to be your thing. i think i get matthew barney but i still hate a number of his movies.

and while i take delight in many so-called boring movies, i really draw the line at david lynch's inland empire wankery-- that's both boring an irredeemable for me, except for some select snippets. maybe some day i'll have a chance to alter my evaluation of it, but definitely not today. regardless, david lynch doesn't need me to love his every movie and i'm sure he's not even aware of my existence.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|