View Single Post
Old 05.24.2015, 09:14 AM   #46689
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
haha no you haven't done anything to me and again I was just being a conscious arse and for that I apologise BUT I'm unsure as to what you're saying about an ignorance of 'old'(er) music, perhaps it's just because it exists outside of the traditional rockist canon?? also I find a bit of a problem in being so unerringly backward-facing in your musical choices when the band whose forum we're all polluting (SONIC YOUTH) seemed so desirous to totally subvert and negate all of it. to deride music purely on the basis of its being new is such a stale, tiresome argument at this point because, as all the music posted herein suggests there's a fuckload of brilliant stuff going on in the world nowadays that far exceeds much of what has come beforehand.
I have to disagree with you. Yes, I think SY-members are really music lovers and listen very much stuff outside traditional rock canon, but I havenīt read any statements from them theyīre against it. In the re-release of SY first album Glenn Branca says one reason to publish SY is that rock was changing to disco in NY that time. So they were much more conservative than revolutionary that time. Also, they have covered Alice Cooper, Beatles, Captain Beefheart, the Carpenters. Thurston has admitted Doctorīs Orders riff has taken from the Stones Dancing with mr. D. There was even Yessongs in Thurstonīs albumlist.

I have nothing against new music, really great if you find new that satisfies you. I just think itīs very poor if you donīt know much about the history of pop music (more than just Hendrix, Beatles, Stones etc.). Or do you think it would have been great thing if someone had said "There are some Mozarts notes, letīs burn them, we donīt need this old stuff". Also, I am interested in all kinds of music, not just rock classics.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|