View Single Post
Old 02.27.2012, 02:46 PM   #73
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Skull
Fair enough. To me, the great 'Mats albums are Let It Be and Tim. The very good 'Mats albums are Hootenanny and Please To Meet Me. The rest are spotty, as you suggest...

My favorites are Let it Be and (believe it or not) Pleased to Meet me and Sorry, Ma. I know they lost a whole shit-ton of their edge at the end there, but PTMM has some absolutely top notch pop songs. "Alex Chilton"...

But I have to admit that I sometimes got through phases of thinking the Replacements were don't belong in the category history has placed them. They're remembered alongside Husker Du and the Pixies, but while those bands influenced experimental pop and punk, the Replacements influenced a herd of faceless '90s "alternative pop" bands like Goo Goo Dolls.

But then I come back to my senses and remember that "Seen Your Video" is defiant rock and roll in perfect form. They WERE punk, even if Third Eye Blind and Matchbox 20 cite them as influences.

In any case, I'd say every album has its high points, and many have very low points, but they were still a great great band.

I also have been in love with Westerberg solo and Grandpaboy since Singles came out. I'm dating myself here, but it's true.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|